Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Finding your voice

I don't know about other writers or friends who are a part of this blogger website, but any writing I have to do such as my movie reviews I have to read it aloud. To me it's the only way I can tell if the words I have written actually makes sense. I call it "audio-grammar" (ie. does it sound right?) as it helps me eliminate any superfluous stuff and simplifies any big words I sometimes use to make me sound more intelligent than I really am (eg. avuncular, jocular, etc.).

Anyways, I'm not particularly fond of the sound of my voice (I'm sure that there are other people who are not thrilled to hear it either), so to rectify this problem, I simply imagine certain actors reading my words. I usually prefer Brit actors since I'm fond of the accent and they can enunciate the Queen's English. I figure that if they can make Shakespeare and Jane Austen sound good, then my drivel should be a snap.

For me, the "voice du jour" belongs to Colin Firth. I've used him ever since I heard him do narration of in the Brit version of Nick Hornby's 'Fever Pitch' (which is where the Drew Barrymore-Jimmy Fallon version is based on). His voice has a nice timbre and an easy-going style in the way he speaks. It's not commanding but has this presence coupled with just the right amount of charm. In fact any Hornby book I happen to read, I simply imagine an audiobook version by him in my head.

Before Firth, it was Stephen Fry whose voice I found to be ideal for children's stories (it was his voice that I imagined when reading over the first and perhaps only children's story I wrote). I heard him doing the UK version of the Harry Potter audiobooks thru downloads and he's great. Worth the time to hear if you get the opportunity.

I have this feeling that I'm not the only one who does this, at least I hope so. With the possible exception of the Irish (I heard Roddy Doyle reading sections from 'A Star Called Henry" and I was mesmerised), most writers probably prefer hearing someone else read aloud their words. Celebrity narration just makes it that much more interesting.

Besides, without Morgan Freeman's narration, 'The Shawshank Redemption' would have been an above average movie instead of the classic that it is now.

Any thoughts or comments out there? I would like to hear who your voice is.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 p.m., Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Hey Bob - welcome to the blogging world. For me, the voice in my head is that of Gilbert Gottfried.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home