Thursday, December 15, 2005

When the Big Monkey Dies....

As Peter Jackson unleashed his version of King Kong to the multiplexes yesterday, it reminded me of an old quote made by legendary producer Dino DeLaurentis when he released his version back in 1976. In my opinion, it's a classic and hilarious quote.

At that time, he was hoping that his King Kong would do as good if not better than that other recent monster flick called Jaws, which was the highest grossing movie at that time (until Star Wars came along two years later). He said to a reporter "Jaws....bah. At the end of Jaws when the big shark dies, nobody cries. But in my King Kong... when the big monkey dies, everybody cries!!"

He's also famous for his jab at Superman. "In Superman, they make one man fly. In my Flash Gordon, I make hundred men fly!!"

Gotta love Dino.

3 Comments:

At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Mark Leslie said...

But King Kong never made anyone scared to go to Manhattan, whereas Jaws made everyone scared to go in the water . . .

 
At 10:12 a.m., Blogger Bob said...

But you didn't cry when the shark died, right?

 
At 10:16 a.m., Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Damn right I did! Hey, I cry when the grass dies in the heat of summer - I'm a sensitive guy! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home